7-Year-Old Girl Awarded €45,000 after Crushing Her Fingers in Dublin Restaurant

A seven year old girl who had her fingers crushed by a door in a restaurant has been awarded €45,000 in damage. Paula Buliauskite was just four years old when a door at The Old School House Restaurant in Swords, Ireland closed on her right hand, crushing the middle finger and ring finger on her

What to Do if A Pupil Traps a Finger in a School Door

Recently, a 7-year-old boy severed his finger in a toilet door at his primary school. Surgeons were unable to re-attach his fingertip. Since the incident, it has come to light that none of the staff at the 200 pupils primary school was trained in first aid. Each year, 30,000 children trap and seriously injure their

If You’re Happy and You Know It – Don’t Trap Your Hands!

It is well documented that avoidable injuries are costing schools millions of pounds in compensation. Of these injuries, some of the most serious – and that resulted in the biggest pay outs – were trapped fingers. Last year, Wakefield Council paid out a whopping £46,000 after a child’s hand got trapped in a door. In

5 Benefits of PVC Strip Door Curtains in Nurseries

At Cardea Solutions, we’ve noticed the rising trend of Nurseries and Early Years environments investing in PVC Door Curtains. You may be wondering just what the benefits of having PVC Curtain installed in your nursery could possibly be.

The Importance of Free Flow Play in Schools & Nurseries

Many nurseries and schools nowadays are veering towards ‘Free Flow Play’. So what exactly is Free Flow Play and how does it benefit a child? Read our small introductory guide to find out more…

7-Year-Old Boy Loses Part of His Finger in Primary School Door

A seven-year-old boy is currently recovering after he lost part of his finger in an accident at school. During lunchtime on April 29th, Rhys, seven, lost the tip of his little finger and nail after getting it caught in a toilet door at Harestanes Primary School. Following the incident, the boy was rushed into emergency

Socket Shield Cover Safely Protects From Electrical Accidents

Electrical sockets in the home, nurseries and schools do represent a very real danger to children, which explains why there are so many products on the market to try and protect them from electrical accidents. In the last few weeks and months, however, some of these products have been identified as both useless and, in

Dublin Nursery fined €20,000 after 2-Year Old Boy Traps his Finger in Door

A Nursery in Ireland has been forced to pay out €20,000 in damages after a young boy trapped his fingers in a door. Alex was only two-years-old when his finger caught in the hinge of a door at Giraffe Childcare in Dublin. The boy’s finger was lacerated in the incident and suffered nail damage and

School Governors fined after 4-Year-Old Girls Loses Part of Finger in Door

A Greater Manchester Primary School’s board of governors have been fined £4,000 after a four-year-old girl trapper her finger in a toilet door. In September 2016, the girl, who was in reception class, was heard screaming by members of staff and was found with her fingers trapped in the hinges of the door. The injuries later

50,000 Children Crush their Fingers in Doors each year according to BAPRAS

The British Association of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons (BAPRAS) released a report this week urging parents and carers to routinely use door stoppers and hinge guards to cut the estimated 50,000 children whose hands and fingers are crushed by doors each year. The report by BAPRAS revealed that fingertip injuries are the most common hand injury seen