7-Year-Old Girl Awarded €45,000 after Crushing Her Fingers in Dublin Restaurant
A seven year old girl who had her fingers crushed by a door in a restaurant has been awarded €45,000 in damage.
Paula Buliauskite was just four years old when a door at The Old School House Restaurant in Swords, Ireland closed on her right hand, crushing the middle finger and ring finger on her right hand.
After suffering the horrific injury, the young girl was taken to hospital and was under the care of a plastic surgeon who had carried out surgery on both fingers under general anaesthetic the following day.
The child has been left with scarring on both fingers.
The Personal Injuries Board assessed compensation at €45,000 which the Judge has considered appropriate and approved.
This incident once more highlights the importance of having door finger guards installed in environments where young children frequent including family-friendly restaurants.
Accidents like these can be easily prevented with the use of door finger guards.
In 2017, the British Association of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons released a report urging for the use of hinge guards and door stoppers as shocking statistics of finger-trapping accidents were highlighted. The statistics included:
- 50,000 children and toddlers crush their fingers and hands in doors each year.
- Finger-trapping injuries can result in a 20% loss of hand strength.
- 1 in 6 finger-tip injuries results in amputation.
The Fingershield Door Protection Pack is ideal for retail environments, covering both the front and rear hinge of a door to completely eliminate the risk of fingers getting caught in the gap between the door and the door frame.
If you would like to find out more about how you can prevent nasty finger-trapping accidents from occurring in your business, ring our team on 0161 869 6550.
Source: The Irish Times.